The Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training (RQF) has been designed to prepare trainee teachers to teach in a wide range of contexts. It requires observation and assessment of practice and the range of optional units available provide opportunities to contextualise the qualification for different learning environments.
This qualification is suitable for individuals who:
- want a qualification focused on practical teaching
- want a choice of optional units that reflects the context in which they teach
- are currently teaching and want to have their practice and experience accredited
- are not currently teaching but can meet the minimum teaching practice requirement of 30 hours
- are able to undertake a qualification of medium size
- have the potential to study at this level which equates to the first year of an undergraduate degree
- are willing to undertake an initial assessment of their skills in maths, English and ICT
How long will it take me to achieve this qualification?
The qualification can be completed at your own pace.
There is a requirement to have access to real teaching (no simulations are permitted) and you will be required to undertake 30 hours of logged teaching 3 hours of which must be observed by your tutor on at least 3 separate occasions.
How is the qualification assessed?
This qualification is assessed by a portfolio of evidence which must cover all assessment criteria of the units selected. The portfolio of evidence will be assessed and internally quality assured by the Centre.
Individuals achieving this qualification may wish to progress onto a higher level teaching qualification.
Where can this course be taken?
Some study will be via distance learning (home study) with tutor support as required.
The teaching practice will take place at your own environment (placements may be arranged for extra fees – ask about this on application if you do not have access to teaching).