This qualification has been designed to develop the knowledge and skills needed when providing positive care for people with dementia and their families. The Level 2 Award provides an awareness of the causes and symptoms of dementia. The Level 2 Certiﬁcate builds on the knowledge gained from the Award, whilst developing skills needed in the workplace when working under supervision. Both qualiﬁcations are aligned to the National Dementia Strategy.
WHO ARE THEY SUITABLE FOR?
Anyone who wants to work in Social Care in either local authority or private care environments. They are also suitable for qualiﬁed practitioners who have not cover dementia care in previous qualiﬁcations.
- Understand what dementia is
- Understand key features of the theoretical models of dementia
- Know the most common types of dementia and their causes
- Understand factors relating to an individual’s experience of dementia
- Understand approaches that enable individuals with dementia to experience well-being
- Understand the role of carers in the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Understand the roles of others in the support of individuals with dementia
- Understand the factors that can influence communication and interaction with individuals who have dementia
- Understand how a person centred approach may be used to encourage positive communication with individuals with dementia
- Understand the factors which can affect interactions with individuals with dementia
- Understand and appreciate the importance of diversity of individuals with dementia
- Understand the importance of person centred approaches in the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Understand ways of working with a range of individuals who have dementia to ensure diverse needs are met
HOW ARE THEY ASSESSED?
You will be assessed by your tutor or assessor using a range of methods. This could include direct observation in the workplace, a portfolio of evidence, written assignments or a task set by AMBA Training
DO YOU NEED TO BE WORKING TO TAKE THE QUALIFICATIONS?
To complete the Award you do not need to be working as it is a knowledge only qualiﬁcation. However to take the Certiﬁcate you will need to be working, volunteering or on practical placement as you need to show competence in both knowledge and skills.
HOW LONG DO THEY TAKE TO COMPLETE?
You can usually complete this course between 3-6 months
WHAT RELATED QUALIFICATIONS CAN YOU PROGRESS TO?
The Level 2 Diploma in Health and Social Care or the Level 3 Dementia qualiﬁcations.